Friday, February 17, 2012

Acetone with Glycerin Remover Update

I wanted to make a followup post to the acetone with glycerin mixture that I posted about a while ago. A few people who tried it, commented that it was a bit too oily and while the oiliness didn't bother me too much, there is always room to improve. When I ran out, I decided to slightly rework the formula. In addition, this time around I had the infamous Zoya Remove+ to compare to. Looking at the Remove+ formula which contains: Acetone, Water, Glycerine, Fragrance, and color I knew the ingredients are right and it was just a matter of proportions.

For my second attempt, I started out with acetone and added glycerin in little by little until I could see a separation between the two liquids forming at the bottom. Then I added bottled water a little bit at a time until there was no longer a separation. This resulted in a much smaller glycerin to acetone ratio.

The new mixture is a lot less oily, while still very moisturizing and not as harsh as pure acetone. It feels a lot more like Remove+, but without the strong fragrance which gives me a headache. Below is the old (empty) bottle on the left and the new bottle on the right.



Here is a quick tutorial on how you can make this yourself...
1. Start with any amount of acetone you want
2. Add glycerin in small amounts and shake/mix to incorporate. Repeat this until the glycerin no longer completely dissolves in the acetone (see last photo)
3. Using distilled, purified, or bottled water add a little bit at a time and shake to mix. Repeat this until you no longer see a separation between acetone and glycerin. Water helps the glycerin dissolve in the acetone completely.
4. All done, time to test it out! :)


Here is what it should look like at step 2 when the glycerin and acetone no longer mix. You can see the separation of the two in the corner of the bottle. It is very slight when adding glycerin in small amounts so just keep checking the bottom...


That's all there is to it! No measuring required and it is really simple once you try...

I would love to know if you try this and what you think about it!

For more info on the chemistry behind this take a look at this blog post from loodie loodie loodie who my inspiration came from...


Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)

16 comments:

  1. I've got to try this sometime. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear an update, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is how I do it and it works great. last time I had to buy some more acetone I grabbed the pure acetone so i had to add a lot of glycerin and there wasn't any fragrance so i put in some fennel essential oils and it makes such a lovely scent for my nail polish remover. and i love how i don't have to use much acetone compared to the non-acetone stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for posting this, I have wanted to try it for a little while now and this explains it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you found this useful. I would love to hear what you think of it if you try it!

    @DesertNails, that is very interesting to scent it. This way you can choose whatever scent you like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this!!! will try it soon. and m planning to write a post on it. Will surely put ur link in my post as you have explained it sooo much better

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm mixing this up right now. Awesome tut!! Thanks so much! I'll let u know how it turns out. Acetone is killing my cutes. Have to do something!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, please let me know how it works out for you! I am sure it will help to keep the cuticles from drying out too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad a friend of mine just posted a link to this Anutka! Zoya Remove + gives me a massive headache and I have got to try this. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad I could help! Please let me know what you think of this when you try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I'm way late to this party but I wanted to let you know I made this mixture today using your recipe and it worked so well! I couldn't believe the difference! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Delphi, it is never too late! I'm glad that you gave this a try and it works well for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally got around to trying this and it's great! I picked up a 1 litre bottle of acetone at the hardware store and used lavender water to mix, but next time I'll use plain old distilled water because the smell of the acetone completely overwhelms the lavender (I thought I'd try it, since I had some lavender water in my box of raw materials that I use to make various balms, soaps, etc.).

    Anyway, this worked a treat, and my cuticles feel great, even after removing glitter polish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Bonni, I'm so glad to hear that it worked well for you! This is what I continue to use and have not found anything I like better. Although I don't like the lavender scent myself, it is an interesting idea to add a bit of something to scent it with, esp for anyone bothered by the acetone smell :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciated your instructions on how to mix this stuff without measurements. I mixed up a batch to use for a 10 minute glitter soak-off and the difference between this and 100% acetone is quite noticeable. They were both equally effective but now my fingers look much better after the polish is removed. No more ghostly white dry patches! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say! So don't be shy... comment! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...